At the request of Interim Chancellor Nathan Brostrom, an external review was conducted on UC Merced’s equity, diversity and inclusion strategies and the scope of the role of the current Associate Chancellor/Chief Diversity Officer (CDO). The review team consisted of current CDOs from across the UC system.
The external review report consists of the team’s recommendations based on their campus visit in March 2020, during which they conducted in-person interviews with campus leadership teams, students, and staff; these interviews explored the role, impact, and expected outcomes of the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, as well as the campus climate and culture as a whole. The review team also took into consideration campus documentation and the strategic planning strategies and organizational models of other institutions.
The Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Organizational Design Work Group will be facilitated by Associate Chancellor and Chief Diversity Officer in its goal of defining the role and structure of the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Office within the current campus framework. Centering the office’s vision of equity and justice through liberation and anti-oppression, we will define the EDI Office’s role and structure by:
• Defining the strategy and objectives for the EDI Office
• Assessing the current organization operating model and power structure grounded in the External
Review of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion at UC Merced
• Analyzing the leadership and collaborative capacity needed to meet the office’s objectives
aligned with its strategy
• Designing the future state operating model
The efforts of this work group will help the advancement of an upcoming equity and inclusion strategic planning process for the university. This work group will lay the foundation and support needed for the strategic planning process as well as current and short term initiatives, many of which were suggested in this past year’s listening tour sessions. This work group will complete its efforts swiftly and prior to fall by August 21, 2020 in order to commence the strategic planning process in Fall 2020.
- Dania Matos, Associate Chancellor & Chief Diversity Officer
- Yesenia Curiel, Director of the CARE Advocacy Office
- Robin DeLugan, Vice Chair of the Academic Senate
- Jonathan Grady, Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
- Nicole Pollack, Associate Vice Chancellor and Chief Human Resource Officer
- Rich Shintaku, Senior Advisor and Chief of Staff to the EVC/Provost
- Kristen Wanderlich, Faculty Liaison